South Hall School, Colintraive
The first school in Colintraive opened at South Hall about 1800 as a single classroom cottage. Shortly afterwards the teacher’s flat was added. There is a double desk from the school in the heritage centre
The school closed in 1975 and the pupils moved to a new building in the Clachan of Glendaruel. Kilmodan school today provides a significant local resource for pupils, parents, and their communities.
Dances and Cruises
Between the wars there were regular dances in the hotel tearoom and frequent dances on the pier along with evening cruises in the Kyles.
Concerts were held in the tearoom.
“Mrs Burnley Campbell opened the programme with a few words in Gaelic. She then called on Mr Archie Baxter to lead the singing of A Gaelic dialogue by Misses MacPherson and MacDonald, a recitation by little Miss Louisa MacKellar and songs by Misses Ruby Helm and Louisa MacKellar completed the programmeSource:-Daisy Black a local resident
In 1946 ‘Colintraive Players won the Cowal Festival Drama cup for their performance of ‘Campbell of Kilmhor 1948 they won the Comedy Drama and Supreme Award Trophies.